Turks and Caicos Islands House of Assembly building in Grand Turk
A total of 31 parliamentary questions are due for ministerial responses at Thursday’s House of Assembly session, along with a committee report and the reading of Bills. The government resolution authorising the minister of finance to write off the carrying accounts balance for staff advances totalling $2,573,918.29; and to write off impaired bank balances totalling $2,476,900.07 also appears on the order paper again.
The parliamentary questions are as follows:
1. Will the minister of finance, trade and investment say if the National Lottery Board is operational and will he further say whether the board has issued any licenses, and if so:
(a) what is the name of the company and its principals that hold the licence:
(b) what period was the licence issued for; and
(c) what is the current revenue sharing structure between the licencee and
TCIG and the previous revenue structure, if any, changes were made?
2. Will the minister of finance, trade and investment lay on the table the following documents;
1. audited accounts of the licence according to Section 13.7 of the Ordinance;
2. annual reports from the board according to Section 9.1 of the Ordinance for all the years the National Lottery has been in existence, and
3. the terms and conditions of the issued licence?
3. Will the minister of finance, trade and investment say if the Lottery Fund was established and if so will he further say what is the current balance; and whether the Ministry of Education, Youth, Sports and Culture has been the recipient of any funds?
4. Will the minister for health and human services say what consultation was received and from whom for the upgrading works to be done on Salt Cay Clinic in this 2013/2014 budget cycle? (Question deferred from meeting dated 5th September 2013.)
5. Will the deputy premier and minister for education, youth, sports and culture inform the House of:
(a) the policy that governs the access of the Members of the House of Assembly to government Schools;
(b) will she say when was this policy agreed and adopted by Cabinet; and
(c) will she further lay the same on the table of the House?
6. Will the minister for health and human services say:
(a) how much has been spent in treatment abroad since January 2013;
(b) will she further break down the amount by medical facilities and countries; and
(c) will she further say what procedure is in place to vet bills submitted and with whom lies the final authority to pay?
7. Will the minister for health and human services say how much is outstanding in payments to NHIP:
(a) will she say over which period this represents;
(b) what is the system to reconcile bank deposits with client accounts; and
(c) will she further say whether this system is up to date?
8. Will the minister for health and human services say:
(a) whether the NHIP audit has been completed and if so, when;
(b) what was the cost of this audit or cost to date; and
(c) if it is not completed will she say when will the audit be laid on the table of the House for review by the Public Accounts Committee?
9. Will the minister for health and human services say:
(a) what is the amount paid to IHC per month;
(b) whether reconciliations are happening or ongoing between TCIG or NHIB and IHC as it relates to this payment; and
(c) will she further say what items makes up this invoice and what has been the trend on terms of percentage of the amount on each item?
10. Recently there has been a phrase commonly used when speaking to the introduction of new taxes or the increase in new taxes “gap in revenue”, will the minister of finance, trade and investment explain what is meant by this phrase; what is this amount and what has caused this gap?
11. Will the minister of finance, trade and investment say whether it is the TCI Airports
Authority intention to recruit fire fighters from overseas?
12. Will the minister of finance, trade and investment say:
(a) what is the current state of TCI Bank in liquidation;
(b) what legal measures, if any, were available to the regulator, the FSC, to prevent the order of appointing a receiver in 2010; and
(c) will he outline the steps that the regulator took to prevent the collapse of the bank?
13. Will the minister of finance, trade and investment say:
(a) whether he is aware of the events that led to the fractured nature of the relationship between the joint liquidators of Deloitte and Touche carrying out the TCI Bank liquidation and the reasons as to why the audit continued with one individual over the other with the retention of the retired individual as opposed to an active partner in the firm retained (if it is accurate that a firm was retained);
(b) if the FSC has made any presentations to Cabinet on the TCI Bank liquidation; and
(c) will he further say what is the cost of the liquidation thus far and will he say if the FSC has any estimates for the length of time that the liquidation will continue?
14. Will the minister of finance, trade and investment say:
(a) what if any are the reasons for the delay in the issuance of the Liquidator’s June Report which as of August 28th had not been posted on the website of the TCI Bank in liquidation; and
(b) will he further say what is the FSC’s position regarding the failure of the liquidator to meet the June deadline?
15. Will the minister of finance, trade and investment say what was the Government’s role in the recent trade mission to Haiti and will he further say what is the government’s position as it relates to current and future trade with Haiti?
16. Will the attorney general say:
(a) when might the people of the Turks and Caicos expect the consideration of applications made since 2006 for the transfer of Heritage Sites to the National Trust to be completed; and
(b) will she further say what is causing the delay?
17. Residents of Providenciales are seeing a serious increase in feral dogs and recently a resident while working in the Leeward area was attacked and bitten, will the minister for environment and home affairs be pleased to say what has her government done thus far to combat this problem in Providenciales, North Caicos and Grand Turk?
18. Will the premier and minister for tourism say whether his government is prepared to support a call for an investigation into the events surrounding the decision of putting TCI Bank into liquidation?
19. Will the minister for border control and labour say:
(a) what amounts have been spent since the commencement of the new financial year on detention and repatriation of illegal immigrants; and
(b) will the minister further say what percentage of this relates to the different nationalities?
20. During the recent Budget Session, monies were allocated to carry out small contracts and/or works on the islands of South, North and Middle Caicos.
(a) Will the minister for government support services say what will the process be in the awards of these contracts and what type works is being considered; and
(b) will the minister further provide the House with an update on this program?
21. Will the minister for environment and home affairs say:
(a) what new policies have been created by DEMA that are now governing the new fishing season;
(b) will she say the dates these policies were approved by Cabinet and the date given effect;
(c) will she further say whether there was any consultation or public education with regards to these new policies; and
(d) will she lay copies of the said Policies, if any on the Table of the House?
22. Will the minister for finance, investment and trade say whether the group formed at a Chamber of Commerce meeting has made any recommendations for changes to the business licence categories or any changes generally to the business environment in the Turks and Caicos Islands to the Ministry?
23. Will the minister for finance, investment and trade say if the gaming consultant has arrived in the TCI and whether or not he has had any meetings with him and what is the consultant's plan of action regarding "who" he consults with in the industry and will he further say if he intends to move gaming into a reserved category for Turks and Caicos Islanders only?
24. Will the minister for finance, investment and trade say how many liquor licences are currently issued in the Turks and Caicos Islands and will he further provide a breakdown of licensees for each island in the Turks and Caicos?
25. Will the minister for finance, investment and trade say how much revenue has been collected calendar year to date from duties on alcohol and will he further say how much revenue from duties has been collected fiscal year to date from duties on alcohol?
26. Will the minister for finance, investment and trade say what is the value of the duty exemptions provided to Beaches Turks and Caicos on their food and alcohol imports and will he further say what is the total value of all food and alcohol directly imported by Beaches for the past fiscal year?
27. Will the minister for finance, investment and trade say what is the value of all goods imported from Haiti calendar year to date and will he further say what is the value of all goods imported from the Dominican Republic and Jamaica from calendar year to date?
28. Will the premier and minister for tourism say if he intends to move more business licence categories into the reserved category for Turks and Caicos Islanders and if so, what categories?
29. Will the premier and minister for tourism say whether his government is seeking to provide any new port operating licences?
30. Will the minister for environment and home affairs say what is the total pounds of lobster caught since the opening of the lobster season and will she provide a breakdown by island?
31. Will the minister for health and human services lay on the table the audited report for NHIP and will she also lay on the table of the House the audited report for the hospital clinical services?