Details of the ten new provisional Electoral Districts for the forthcoming Turks and Caicos Islands Elections were issued for public consultation on Monday.
The new constituencies have been proposed by the three strong Electoral Boundary Commission (EBC), led by chair Tremmaine Swann-Harvey, and members Carl Simmons and Justice Margaret Ramsay Hale.
In so far as is reasonably possible the EBC has tried to ensure that each Electrical District accounts for a broadly similar proportion of the voting population, taking into account the island geography of the Turks and Caicos.
The new proposed Electoral Districts include the following areas:
1. Grand Turk North (former West Road and Overback)
2. Grand Turk South (North and Back Salina and Salt Cay)
3. South Caicos, East Caicos, Little and Ambergris Cay
4. Middle and North Caicos and Parrot Cay
5. Leeward, Providenciales, Pine Cay, Little and Big Water Cays and East Cays, including Dellis Cay
6. The Bight, Providenciales
7. Cheshire Hall and Richmond Hill Providenciales
8. Blue Hills, Providenciales
9. Five Cays, Providenciales
10. Wheeland and North West and North Central Providenciales and West Caicos
Feedback from the general public, politicians and other interested parties can be provided until 11:59 pm on Friday July 27, 2012 in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
. The EBC will publish its final recommendations after reviewing the comments and recommendations from the public consultation process.
The Commissioners will vacate their office on the day following the submission of their final report to the Governor. The intention is for the new district boundaries to be incorporated into a new Electoral Boundaries Ordinance and passed into law by the end of August.
Click to view the full EBC draft report
and the electoral district maps of Grand Turk