The Commonwealth Parliamentary Association British Islands and Mediterranean Region (CPA BIMR) team of independent election observers for the Turks and Caicos Islands (TCI) began arriving in the territory on Tuesday.
The election observer mission will be in the TCI from 6-12 Nov to cover the period immediately before and after the general election which takes place on Friday.
The team will present its report to the Governor Ric Todd before departure.
Following their arrival on Tuesday, the observers were due to carry out the following duties:
1. Wednesday, 7 Nov – meetings with the Governor and his team; the Supervisor of Elections, the Integrity Commission; the leaders and deputies of the three TCI main political parties (the People’s Democratic Movement – PDM; Progressive National Party – PNP; People’s Progressive Party – PPP)
2. Thursday, 8 Nov – they will host a media briefing at the National Environmental Centre in the Bight from 09.15-10.30am before pre-deploying to each of the family islands ahead of polling day itself.
3. Friday, 9 Nov – on polling day the Observers will be deployed across the TCI as follows:
• Mr Duddridge and Mr Lowenfield (Grand Turk)
• Mr Bossano and Ms Penn (Providenciales)
• Mr Baptiste (South Caicos)
• Mr Olszewski (Salt Cay)
• Mr Docherty and Rev Sterling (North / Middle Caicos)
• The observers will visit all polling stations across TCI.
4. Saturday, 10 Nov – the observer team will attend any recounts and begin compiling their report and recommendations based on their observations.
5. Sunday, 11 Nov – it is hoped that the Observer team will be able to meet with newly elected new members of the House of Assembly; some Observers will attend the Remembrance Day event in Grand Turk; the team will submit its report to the Governor before departure.
6. Sunday, 11 and Mon, 12 Nov – depart TCI.
The team was selected, in coordination with the Association of Caribbean Electoral Organisations (ACEO), and will include Members from the UK Parliament and the Parliament of Gibraltar together with observers from BVI, Guyana, Jamaica and St Lucia.